Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Name is Mae

Hello fellow 'I Care'-ers!

So the turn has come to me to introduce myself in the purpose of you getting to know us a little better.
As mentioned above, my name is Mae Suliman, I'm 24 years old and currently studying my fourth out of five years of Dentistry at UmeƄ University. Unfortunately, this makes me the only SSAYC (Swedish Sudanese Association Youth Committee) board member up north, however we have skilled the art of Skyping over the years in order to keep in touch and stay updated on the project despite the distances between us.

When I'm not juggling patients and studies, I meet up with friends, (spend more time trying to collect motivation to work out than the time I actually spend doing it), catch up with family and friends, and (if the chance is given) travel back to my beloveds in Stockholm.

As Maha mentioned, the SSAYC was formed after attending a meeting of the SSA in 2008, where we started discussing the need of having a board of youths directed to other youths with the common goal of tying a connection between young people in Sudan and Sweden.

Early on in the founding of the board, we felt we needed a project that would speak to our members in which we could do something for Sudan. At that time, a lot of aid projects were directed to the problems of Darfur, and although it was (and still is) in need of highlighting, we felt we needed to shed light on other issues in Sudan that needed attention. This brought us to deciding on focusing on the orphans of Sudan and the social stigma that follows them.

In the winter of 2012, I travelled to Sudan ahead of the others in order to investigate on the orphanage that would need the most of our help. After visiting several orphanages that had been suggested by our members and discussing them with the other board members, we realized Dar al Fityan was in the greatest need of aid. As soon as the other board members arrived in Sudan, we got straight to work in trying to build up the spirits of both the boys and the broken home they lived in.

We are all incredibly happy, and feel an immense sense of gratitude, in knowing that we are fortunate enough to be part of this, and further knowing that had things not happened in this order, we probably never would have been blessed enough to engage in this project.

Old members: Thank you for your constant support over the years, we couldn't have done this without you. New members: We are greatly thrilled to have you onboard this project and look forward to seeing where this journey will lead us together.

Much love!

For any questions or inputs, please contact me at mae.suliman@live.se

 


No comments:

Post a Comment